Tuesday 13 March 2012

Biography- Guess, who am I?

Countless number of times we have wished to be lucky. We wish to have fate of a superstar, a rock star, a businessman or even a politician (considering the immense amount of fortune they pile up during their tenure). There are some, who are born rich and some who turn rich. It’s all about hard work. The rich try to maintain their riches and work hard, while the poor works hard to get rich. Some believe destiny is scripted and some are the makers of their own. My story is among those famous stories that you would have heard from your mother at bedtime. It motivates some and some are left thrilled. I hope this article leaves you enthralled, yet keeps you motivated.
    The youngest child of four children in the family of French Canadian roots, I was born as James on January 17, 1962 in Newmarket, Ontario, Canada to Percy and Kathleen. My father was an accountant by profession and also an aspiring jazz saxophonist. Both my parents suffered from ill health. My mother Kathleen used to suffer from hypochondria, an extreme depression of mind or spirits often centered on imaginary physical ailments. She used to lie on her bed and take pills all day long. I wanted to cheer her up, so I used to walk over and do impressions of praying mantises and other weird things. I’d bounce of the walls or even throw myself on the stairs, just to make her feel better. This led to habit of entertaining people. I loved it very much. As a child I’d performed constantly, for anyone who would watch, and I even mailed my résumé to "The Carol Burnett Show" at age 10. Later I extended the funny performance to my classmates at Aldershot School in Burlington. I even obtained the teacher's permission to regularly carry out a stand-up comedy in class few minutes before the end of school day.
    All laughter and humor all took a drastic turn when I was in the 9th standard, my father, who was 52, lost his job as accountant. The financial status plummeted like the pack of cards and we were in dire monetary straights. That was a huge blow for my mild mannered father who had given up musical dreams in favor of family security. Due to this fiscal turnaround we had to sell off our home and relocate to the eastern part of Toronto. This was our family’s bleakest period, as we all agreed to work as factory cleaners for secured accommodation. We even took up janitorial jobs at Titan Wheels factory in Scarborough. I continued to study at the town's Agincourt Collegiate Institute. I did my schooling there and then worked at the factory for eight long hours every day. Inevitably the A grade student began to fail and this showed in my behavior in the community. I decided I had no option but to leave school.
Eventually my family decided the hostility between fellow factory workers and their general unhappiness was too much to bear and we moved into a Volkswagen camper van. Despite the cramped space my family was happier again. Seeking an opportunity for my stand up comedy abilities, my dad and I explored the whole of Toronto’s comedy clubs. Finally at the age of fifteen I landed with a show at Yuk Yuk's. I appeared in the show with a bright yellow suit made by my Mom. The initial performance at Yuk Yuk's sadly did not result well, but I was not discouraged, and kept reworking and refining my material to satisfyingly become the club's headliner when I made my comeback two years later.
My early routine comprised mainly of impressions and along with the positive feedback I was receiving I took the brave step of moving to Los Angeles in 1979. The Comedy Store soon had me on the bill and I found myself spotted by Rodney Dangerfield who booked me to be his support act, leading to Vegas gigs. During this period I called my parents to move in from Canada to the U.S. I knew things had to change and above all I realized I wanted to make people laugh and headed back to the comedy circuit, began to explore new material, often bombing in front of the audience but never giving up. However with less money and with no option I was forced to ask my parents to leave, Therein followed a bleak period in my life. During this time I wrote myself the now legendary cheque for $10 million for services rendered.
My personal life however looked more promising. In 1986 I met an actress Melissa Womer at the Comedy Store where she was waitressing, fell in love and married her a year later, shortly followed by the birth of my daughter, Jane. I was no longer a single man; I had a family to think of.
I had already taken part in small budget movies before I married Melissa. Other movies began to filter through soon after, "Finders Keepers", "Once Bitten", "Peggy Sue Got Married", "The Dead Pool", "Pink Cadillac" and "Mike Hammer: Murder Takes All" then came "Earth Girls are Easy". Despite being an unimpressive movie I managed to make an impression on co-star Damon Wayans who recommended me to meet his brother for a new show "In Living Color".
This was to be his big chance. The role led to my Unnatural Act in 1991 and led to a role in Fox's Emmy nominated TV film "Doing Time on Maple Drive". A serious role in which I played a young man with a serious drinking problem, it showcased my straight acting talents but I continued with "In Living Color", sticking with comedy.
I was able to push boundaries and test audience reactions and across the industry I was receiving attention and acclaim, which lead to my first blockbuster in 1994.
 During my bleak period I had written myself a cheque for $10 million, which I kept in my wallet. I was given that amount when I signed a film in 1996, the cheque which I had in my wallet all the time I poignantly placed in his father’s pocket at his funeral. I am James Eugene Carrey, known famously as Jim Carrey, the 94 movie is called Ace Ventura and the 96 movie is called The Cable Guy.









.
.
.
.
.
 .
 .
 .
 .
 .
 .
 .
 .
Sites from where the information is taken:
1.    http://www.imdb.com
2.    http://www.jimcarreyonline.com
3.    http://www.aceshowbiz.com

No comments: