Friday 21 August 2015

Feminist and Misogynist.

“Why are you a misogynist?”
“What? I am not a misogynist, why would you say that?” I replied, amazed by the sudden accusation made towards me.
“I think you are an anti-woman.” She continued to put her thoughts forward.
“I am not against women, I treat them the same way I treat men. Both are equal in my understanding, well almost equal.”
“That is not how you should treat a girl. Girls think very different from how boys think!”
“I will agree on that part, we are very different”, I smirked making a sarcastic remark, hoping she wouldn’t get it, and she didn’t disappoint me.
“I have seen you making remarks about girls, saying that they behave in strange ways. You should respect women. We have tolerated for a very long time, and now we should be treated equal.”
I knew that I had sparked a fire in the conversation.
“To be honest, girls do not use their brains when they have to, they are always living in a fantasy world of some sort. I say to you and all the others, come back to earth and face the reality!”
If I could portray an emoji for her reaction it has to be the one with the red face. She continued not to back down.
“You are constantly telling that women should be more responsible, but then there are things that we cannot do, like being physical and lifting heavy weights, that is a man’s job. I can accept that, but we should stop having words like chairman, mankind, and spokesman. Instead, we should be using words like chairperson, humankind and spokesperson.”
“Oh please, suddenly you are against words, what kind of sick idea is that. See, I told you, where you need to apply brain, you don’t. You are worried about changing words.” I remarked with a good comeback, hoping that she will back down. But, she didn’t.
“Again the same topic, you are not treating women with respect. That is not how you should talk to a girl. Your tone is rude to me, and its hurting.”
There is no comeback from this. Spinning around the same topic all the time. I stood up to leave but I -remarked one last time – “If you want respect, you need to earn it. Don’t demand it. You can continue to live in your fantasy world while I have to go to office.”
“What do you want for dinner today?” she asked with genuine concern.
“Some Italian would be great. Bye, and I love you”

“Love you too.”

Inspired by George Carlin's stand up comedy.

No comments: